About the ASC
The Steve Troxler Agricultural Sciences Center (ASC) houses the regulatory laboratories for the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. These laboratories form the scientific basis for all regulatory work performed by the Department ensuring consumer protection for human and animal food, commerce, and animal health. This state-of-the art facility opened in 2021 and was designed with flexibility in mind to support NC agriculture for the next 50 years.
Take a virtual tour of the facility.
ASC Building Features
- $107M in funding provided by Connect NC Bond (March, 2016) and NC General Assembly
- 225,000 square feet (equal to five acres total floor space under roof)
- First facility of its kind in the nation
- Energy conservation systems:
- high performance building envelope systems
- high efficiency fans, variable volume air, and exhaust air energy recovery
- high plume laboratory exhaust system with energy recovery
- occupancy sensors to not only shut off lights when unoccupied but also to control air handling systems
- Employee and Environmental safety systems:
- high intensity UV lights to treat air stream
- bipolar ionization system to clean indoor air
- pathological incineration waste system
- laboratory waste water and effluent decontamination system
Opportunities created by the ASC
- Flexible laboratory spaces to facilitate growth into new or expanded analytical program areas such as veterinary toxicology, farmer forage, and fuels/lubricants.
- Designated spaces for new laboratory programs such as chronic wasting disease and whole genome sequencing testing.
- Elevated biosafety level (BSL-3) laboratory space to support testing of high-risk human and animal pathogens and provide rapid detection and response.
- Expanded state-of-the-art training facilities to provide more efficient and cost-effective training and certification programs to support the increasing workforce.
Physical address: USPS Mailing Address:
4400 Reedy Creek Rd. 1002 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27607 Raleigh, NC 27699-1002
The building is open Monday - Friday from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, excluding state holidays.
The Shipping/Receiving loading dock is open Monday - Friday from 7:30 am - 4:30 pm, excluding state holidays.
DO NOT leave packages at the loading dock outside of these hours.
For after hours necropsy submittals please visit the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory System services page.
Our facility hosts GROUP tours for agricultural-related and educational groups.
Tours include an overview of the building facility and laboratory operations and provide an opportunity to learn about:
- the design and features of this unique state-of-the-art building;
- the programs and testing performed by the divisions residing in the facility;
- how the work of NCDA&CS impacts the daily lives of North Carolinians;
- the variety of careers available that support the agricultural industry beyond the farm.
Some restrictions apply:
- Tours are only available during normal building hours (8:00 am - 5:00 pm M-F).
- Tour groups are limited to 20 people.
- The minimum age for attendees is 16. Adult supervision is required for attendees between the ages of 16-18.
If you are interested in scheduling a tour for your group please call the Steve Troxler Agricultural Sciences Center at 984-236-4500.
Main Reception desk: 984-236-4500