Structural Pest Control and Pesticides - Structural Licensing and Certification

The Structural Pest Control Law divides structural pest control into three specialized areas or phases: 

  • P phase - Household Pest Control 
  • W phase - Wood-Destroying Organisms Control 
  • F phase - Fumigation  

In addition, it establishes three classes of structural pest control applicators: registered technicians, certified applicators, and licensees. Each class of applicator must qualify for the credential he or she desires through training, experience, and/or examinations depending upon the credential desired. Structural pest control cards are not prorated; all cards expire June 30th of each year and must be renewed prior to that date if the applicator is to continue working without interruption.

To perform structural pest control work for hire, the applicator must be licensed or employed by a licensee. 

NC Structural Pest Control Rules and Regulations

Structural Pest Control Credential Information

Tab/Accordion Items

All employees of non-commercial certified applicators or licensees, who perform structural pest control services, must be registered with the Division within 75 days of their employment. Per the Structural Pest Control Committee Rules and Regulations, individuals who make application for the issuance of a Registered Technician's (RT) Card in North Carolina shall complete the following registered technician training, or its (approved) equivalent, prior to becoming eligible for the identification card:

  1. Completion of the Structural Pest Control Division "Introductory Training Workbook", and 
  2. A minimum of 24 hours of on-the-job training in the applicable phases of structural pest control under the supervision of a licensee, structural certified applicator, or structural registered technician having at least two years of structural pest control experience, and 
  3. Enrollment in the NCDA&CS Structural Pest Control Registered Technician 8-hour School, or its (approved) equivalent.

The fee for a registered technician's identification card is $40.00.

All applicators of Restricted Use Pesticides for structural pest control purposes must be certified by the Division in the appropriate phase of structural pest control or work under the direct supervision of a Certified Applicator (CA). 

To become a Certified Applicator, the applicant must have previously completed the Registered Technician requirements; then they must pass the Core (general competency) examination plus examinations in each of the phases of structural pest control in which certification is desired. 

There are 2 different types of Certified Applicators: Commercial CA & Non-Commercial CA. 

  • Commercial CAs perform structural pest control services for hire on property other than their own or that of their employer. Commercial CA credentials MUST be linked to an SPC Licensee credential in good standing. 
  • Non-Commercial CAs perform structural pest control services only on their employer's property as part of their day-to-day job duties. Non-Commercial CAs provide oversight of their employer's pest control services as there is no Non-Commercial Licensee category.

North Carolina has Certified Applicator reciprocity agreements with the following states only: Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

The fee for a certified applicator's identification card is $50.00. 

Individuals wishing to perform structural pest control on all property not owned by themself or their employer must be licensed. To obtain a Structural Pest Control License, the applicator must satisfy the following requirements:

  • Qualify as a Certified Applicator (CA) (in good standing) in the phase in which they wish to become licensed, and
  • Have two years of independently verifiable documented experience in structural pest control work in that phase, then
  • Pass an examination in that phase.

Persons wishing to be approved to sit for the Structural Pest Control License exam(s) must document their CA qualifications and experience through the submission of the Structural License Exam Application. 

All licensees must provide proof of insurance before the license is issued.  Insurance COIs must be sent by the insurance company to:

The fee for a structural pest control license is $200.00 for the first phase, plus $75.00 for each subsequent phase.

North Carolina does not have a reciprocal licensing agreement with any state. See Structural Reciprocation Information page, for Certified Applicator reciprocation details.

For questions or if additional assistance is required, please contact the NCDA&CS Structural Pest Control Section at 984-236-4625.       Directions 

Return to Structural Pest Control Section homepage.