Who requires a license or registration from NCDA&CS?
Please See N.C. General Statute §19A 23 for Complete definition of entities.
- Animal Shelter: privately/publicly owned or operated by non-profit organization
- Boarding Kennel: Any person that offers service of boarding to public for a fee including in-home services but excluding pet sitting in another person’s home.
- Pet Shops: acquires dogs/cats for purpose of resale
- Dealer: Sells puppies/kittens to other dealers, pet shops or research facilities.
- Public Auction: location where dogs or cats are sold at auction to the highest bidder
How do I obtain a license?
1. Read regulations and prepare facility to meet standards.
2. Complete Application/Program of Veterinary Care (PVC) Form with assistance of licensed veterinarian.
3. Mail Application/PVC to the AWS along with check or include money order for $75.00; Only applicable to Pet shops, Boarding Kennels, Dealers and Auctions
4. Call 919-707-3280 to arrange appointment for initial inspection.
5. Facility must have an approved inspection before license can be issued.
6. Application for license is completed before the initial inspection.
7. Application, Program of Veterinary Form, and Inspection Form will then be processed and a license or registration will be mailed.