Skip Navigation


Century Farm Family

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the requirements for Century Farms?
To be eligible for Century Farms, a farm must have had continuous ownership by a family for 100 years or more. This ownership can be determined from an abstract from a title or original records such as the original deed or land patents. In some cases, other authentic land records are acceptable. Contact the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Public Affairs office at 919-707-3002 if you have further questions.

Are there any benefits to becoming a Century Farm?
The Century Farms program is strictly a recognition program. While there are no tax breaks or incentives for being part of the program, you can be proud of your family's agricultural heritage when you display your certificate and road sign. See our other resources to page to see if you can benefit from other state programs.

How do I apply for Century Farms?
You can download an application or contact the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Public Affairs office at (919) 707-3002 to have an application sent to you. Applications can be printed off the Internet and submitted by mail. Proof of land ownership must be submitted with the application.

When can I become a member of Century Farms?
Applications are always being accepted for admittance into Century Farms.

My relative was a member of Century Farms but now I own the farm, how do I become a member?
The farm, not the owner, is considered part of the Century Farm program. To have your name listed as the owner of the farm and to be included in Century Farm activities, contact the Public Affairs office at: (919) 707-3002 or mail to Century Farm Family Coordinator, Public Affairs Division, N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, 1001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1001. To change your contact information, please submit an update form.

How often are the reunions held for Century Farm Families?
Historically, Century Farm Family reunions have been held every five years during the N.C. State Fair.  However, Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler had so much fun at the 2005 reunion that he decided to hold them more often. The next Century Farm Family reunion is slated for the 2020 State Fair.

Where can I get another Century Farm sign?
Only one Century Farm sign is given out per farm. If your sign is damaged, contact the Public Affairs Division at 919-707-3002.

Where can I get a copy of the 2016 Century Farm directory?
Copies of the directory were give out at the reunion. We do have some leftover copies. If you would like a copy of the 2016 directory, e-mail or mail your request to the Century Farm Coordinator, NCDA&CS Public Affairs Division, 1001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1001. You can also view it online.


NCDA&CS Public Affairs Division, Andrea Ashby, Director
Mailing Address:1001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh NC 27699-1001
Physical Address: 2 West Edenton Street, Raleigh NC 27601
Phone: (919) 707-3001; FAX: (919) 733-5047

How can we make this page better for you?
Contact the NCDA&CS

Found a bug? Have a suggestion? Fill out the form below and we'll take a look!

Your Name:
Your E-mail:
Question or Comments:

Back to top

Get Email Alerts

Stay up to date with NCDA&CS. Sign up to receive the latest news and upcoming events via email.