Skip Navigation


Agricultural Review

Horse owners urged to fill out horse survey on feed purchases

The N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services and the N.C. Horse Council is calling on horse owners for help with a short survey to try to determine how much feed owners are purchasing annually and where they are buying that feed.

Revenue from an equine feed assessment that is used to promote the horse industry has been on the decline since 2003 despite a growth in the horse population in the state.

"The numbers don't add up and we are trying to determine where the break down is occurring," said Steve Lathrop, NCDA&CS interim horse specialist. "The money generated by the assessment is critical to the work of the N.C. Horse Council in promoting, lobbying and educating about the state's growing horse industry."

Under the assessment, horse owners pay $2 per ton for horse feed, which is collected from feed manufacturers. Those funds are then forwarded to NCDA&CS as pass-through revenue for the Horse Council. NCDA&CS doesn't collect any fees from the revenue.

Horse owners are being asked to fill out a short five-question survey that can be found at

To request a copy of the survey to fill out, call Lathrop at (919) 733-7887.

NCDA&CS Public Affairs Division, Andrea Ashby, Director
Mailing Address:1001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh NC 27699-1001
Physical Address: 2 West Edenton Street, Raleigh NC 27601
Phone: (919) 707-3001; FAX: (919) 733-5047

How can we make this page better for you?
Contact the NCDA&CS

Found a bug? Have a suggestion? Fill out the form below and we'll take a look!

Your Name:
Your E-mail:
Question or Comments:

Back to top

Get Email Alerts

Stay up to date with NCDA&CS. Sign up to receive the latest news and upcoming events via email.