Skip Navigation


Agricultural Review

Farmers advised to take steps to reduce potential spread of plant pests when moving hay or forage

With the entire state experiencing severe to exceptional drought, farmers are moving hay and alternative forages to feed their livestock. The N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services cautions farmers to take steps to reduce the risk of moving unwanted plant pests with hay or alternative feeds.

Areas of North Carolina are under quarantine for fire ants and weeds such as witchweed, and permits or certificates are required for moving hay and forage from these areas.

Hay and forage from outside North Carolina also must be accompanied by a certificate or permit issued by an authorized agriculture department representative in the state of origin. The document must certify that the material is free of plant pests such as fire ant, other insects and noxious weeds.

Farmers should contact the NCDA&CS Plant Industry Division at (919) 733-6932 or toll-free, 1-800-206-9333, before moving hay and forage. A plant pest specialist may need to visit the farm to inspect the forage.
For county-by-county information about pests and quarantines, logon to


NCDA&CS Public Affairs Division, Andrea Ashby, Director
Mailing Address:1001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh NC 27699-1001
Physical Address: 2 West Edenton Street, Raleigh NC 27601
Phone: (919) 707-3001; FAX: (919) 733-5047

How can we make this page better for you?
Contact the NCDA&CS

Found a bug? Have a suggestion? Fill out the form below and we'll take a look!

Your Name:
Your E-mail:
Question or Comments:

Back to top

Get Email Alerts

Stay up to date with NCDA&CS. Sign up to receive the latest news and upcoming events via email.