Skip Navigation


Emergency Programs

Animal Contact Exhibit Information

Do I need an Animal Contact Exhibit Permit from the North Carolina Department of Agriculture?

In 2005, the North Carolina General Assembly passed G.S. 106-520.3A, also known as Aedin's Law. This law requires a permit from NCDA&CS for all animal contact exhibits at sanctioned agricultural fairs in NC. Examples of animal contact exhibits include, but are not limited to, petting zoos, pony rides, and milking booths. To obtain a permit, exhibits must meet certain requirements as outlined in the NC Administrative Code.

If you will be displaying animals at a venue other than a sanctioned agricultural fair, you do not need a permit from NCDA&CS.

Click here to see a flow chart to help you determine whether or not you need a permit from NCDA&CS.

Sanctioned Agricultural Fairs in North Carolina

Sanctioned agricultural fairs are inspected and licensed by the NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. If you have questions about sanctioned agricultural fairs in NC, please contact Kevin Hardison, Agricultural Fair Coordinator with NCDA&CS, at or 919.707.3123.


Permits for animal contact exhibits are issued following receipt of a completed application and satisfactory inspection of the exhibit. To request a permit application, please call 919.707.3300.

Download a blank application for an Animal Contact Exhibit Permit

Compendium of Measures to Prevent Disease Transmission Associated with Animals in Public Settings, 2017

This document, developed by the National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians, provides information regarding the display of animals in public settings and is published online in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.


For printable versions of signs required under Aedin's Law as well as sample Do Not Touch signs, please see

Farm Animal Activity Liability

The 2013 Farm Act included a provision to limit liability associated with farm animal activities. For more information, please seeNCGS 99E. The sign specified in NCGS 99E-8 can be found online here:


NCDA&CS Emergency Programs Division, John Howard, Director
Mailing Address:1035 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699
Physical Address: 2 West Edenton Street, Raleigh, NC 27601
Phone: (919) 707-3300

How can we make this page better for you?
Contact the NCDA&CS

Found a bug? Have a suggestion? Fill out the form below and we'll take a look!

Your Name:
Your E-mail:
Question or Comments:

Back to top

Get Email Alerts

Stay up to date with NCDA&CS. Sign up to receive the latest news and upcoming events via email.