Skip Navigation


Agricultural Disaster Program Frequently Asked questions

What counties are eligible for assistance?

*Note this list can expand and is subject to change.

Agricultural Disaster Program
Alamance Alleghany Anson Ashe Avery Beaufort Bertie Bladen Brunswick Cabarrus Carteret Caswell Chatham Columbus Craven Cumberland Dare Davidson Davie Duplin Durham Edgecombe Forsyth Franklin Granville Greene Guilford Halifax Harnett Hoke Hyde Johnston Jones Lee Lenoir Madison Martin McDowell Montgomery Moore Nash New Hanover Onslow Orange Pamlico Pender Person Pitt Polk Randolph Richmond Robeson Rockingham Rowan Sampson Scotland Stanly Stokes Surry Tyrrell Union Vance Wake Warren Washington Watauga Wayne Wilson Yadkin Yancey

What is included in an “agricultural commodity”?

Apples, barley, corn, cotton, dry peas, flax, forage, freezing and canning peas, grain sorghum, grapes, hay, industrial hemp, native grass, nursery crops, nuts, oats, peanuts, potatoes, rye, soybeans, sunflowers, sweet corn, tobacco, tomatoes, wheat, specialty crops, and other fruits & vegetables. *Does not include stored grain or other stored commodities.

Which livestock and poultry species are eligible for state assistance?

Livestock/poultry producers who qualify for and have received payment from the USDA Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP).
Eligible livestock/poultry includes: cattle, sheep, swine, goats, farmed cervids and bison. Horses, mules or other equines are also included only if they are used for production of agricultural commodities.
Poultry includes chickens, quail or turkeys.

For aquaculture, what commodities are eligible?

Inland aquaculture (catfish, crawfish ponds, etc.) are eligible; species that are propagated or reared in a controlled environment.

What if the crop was completely harvested by September 13, 2018?

The producer is not eligible for assistance. However, for example, if the tobacco crop was partially but not fully harvested by September 13, 2018 then total planted acreage within the selected county should be entered on the application.

Is this taxable?

Yes. In order to receive assistance an W-9 tax form is required in the application.

Are losses due to Hurricane/Tropical Storm Michael eligible?


What is the payment calculation based on?

Payments will be based on a pro-rated share of the appropriation allocated by the NC General Assembly.

Steve Troxler, Commissioner
North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
Mailing Address: 1001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh NC 27699-1001
Physical Address: 2 West Edenton Street, Raleigh NC 27601
Disaster Hotline: 866-645-9403

How can we make this page better for you?
Contact the NCDA&CS

Found a bug? Have a suggestion? Fill out the form below and we'll take a look!

Your Name:
Your E-mail:
Question or Comments:

Back to top

Get Email Alerts

Stay up to date with NCDA&CS. Sign up to receive the latest news and upcoming events via email.