Professional Development - Training Opportunities
Many training opportunities exist for conservation partnership employees and supervisors in NC - including both hands-on training activities and online resources. Please follow the links below for more information.
Division Supported Training Events
- 2021 SPRING District Employee Training Series April, May, & June (Click here for detailed descriptions for all SPRING sessions)
- Click here for video links to SPRING Training Series Sessions. A special set of trainings to help district employees hone various skills - administrative, educational, technical - to better serve their districts, boards, and county populations. See below for PowerPoint presentations and other pertinent handouts from some of the SPRING Training Series sessions.
- How to do meetings remotely - 4/7/21 - with Allie Dinwiddie- Video Ready at link above!
- Wildlife Management - 4/7/21 - with Don Barker
- Local Work Groups & LWG for Strategy Plants - 4/14/21 - with Julius George, Cayle Aldridge
- Long Range Plan-Business Plan & Strategic Plan - 4/14/21 - with Ralston James, Julie Henshaw
- Conservation Innovation Grants (CIG) & NRCS-CIG Farm Bill 2018 Fact Sheet - 4/21/21 - with Rafael Vega
- Impaired/Impacted Stream Survey & District Highlight Lincoln - 4/21/2021 - with Ken Parks - Video Ready at link above!
- Connections between Forestry and Weather - 4/28/2021 - with Tom Gerow - Video Ready at link above!
- What's up with 5th grade weather? Slide Show & Other Links - 4/28/2021 - with Erin Hines - Video ready at link above!
EFH-2 – Determining peak runoff from a watershed – 5/4/21 – Jeff Young, DSWC Video Ready at link above!
- Cost Share RFPs and Receipts - 5/4/21 - Josh Vetter, lisa Fine - Video Ready at link above!
- District Confidentiality: Suggested protocol to present items to board - 5/11/21 - with Josh Vetter - Video ready at link above!
- NEW EMPLOYEE ORIENTATION
- Day 1 - 5/11/21
- Day 2, Technical - 5/12/21
- Day 2, Administrative - 5/12/21 - Video ready at link above!
- Day 3, 5/13/21
- Drones in Conservation Planning - 5/18/21 - Rob Baldwin, Kayla McCoy - Wilkes SWCD
- Drone Policy - 5/18/21
- Become a Drone Pilot and Links - 5/18/21
- Drone Permission Form - 5/18/21
- Weed & Invasive Plant Species: Identification to Management Decisions - 5/18/21 - Dr. Ramon Leon - Video Ready at link above!
- Weed Online Resources, Weed ID Books 1, Weed ID Books 2 - 5/18/21 - Dr. Ramon Gonzales Leon, NCSU
- AgWRAP Water Supply Ponds - 5/20/21 - Jeff Young & Sydney Mucha
- Soil Health while grazing cropland & grassland - 6/8/21 - Nathan Lowder, NRCS - Video Ready at link above!
- JEDI in EE - 6/22/21 - Video Ready at link above!
- 2021 WINTER District Employee Training Series January, February, March (Click here for detail descriptions of the sessions)- Click here for Video links of WINTER Training Series. See below for PowerPoint presentations and other pertinent handouts from some WINTER Training Series sessions.
- 2020 FALL District Employee Training Series course Descriptions and video links of FALL Training Series are available here. PowerPoint presentation from some sessions are available below.
Virtual Food, Land & People Workshop How To's - 1/14 with Caitlin Reilly, NCSU
Local Fund Raisers - Lincoln SWCD - 1/21 with Patty Dellinger
Forestry BMPs and Water Quality - 2/10 with Tom Gerow & AJ Lang
Public Records Requests to Your SWCD - 3/17 with Kristina Fischer
Soil Loss - RUSLE2 - 3/24 with Josh Spencer
Intro to Hemp Agriculture, Welcome - 3/24 with Rafael Vega, Sam Cook, Dr. Arnab Bhowmik, Drl Lucian Lucia - Intro to Hemp Agronomics & Soil Health Benefits - Hemp Peer Reviewed Publications - Hemp Ag Web Info
Basic Conservation Easements - 11/30
Local District Contests - 12/1
Natural Resource Poetry Contests - 12/2
Master Agreement Example - 12/4
Soil Fertility - 12/9
Basic Soil Properties - 12/9
Soil Survey/Web Soil Survey - 12/10
Soil Health - 12/10
NCASWCD Annual Meeting - Annual meeting for the NC Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts to develop policy and action items and elect leadership. Programming provides opportunity for district supervisors and partnership employees to receive training and updates from state and national leadership.
Basic Training for Soil and Water Conservation District Supervisors - Workshop hosted by the UNC School of Government staff, in-depth training program provides information on supervisor responsibilities and legal requirements for soil and water conservation districts.
Conservation Employee Training (CET - formerly DEW) - Annual training opportunity geared toward district staff and partnership employees. Intent of the workshop is for in-depth, hands-on learning, with the opportunity to earn job approval authority.
New Employee Orientation (NEO) - Annual orientation for new members of the NC conservation partnership. Training is geared toward staff - including instructions for implementing cost share programs, and paperwork required for state programs - but supervisors are always welcome to attend.
Basics of Conservation Planning (BCP) - Annual week-long training hosted by NRCS to provide a sound conservation planning background for employees with 6 months+ of field experience.
Available Training and Resources
District Board Training Library - A collection of training modules (videos and narrated presentations) focused on building the capabilities of local districts and helping them understand their responsibilities as entites of local government. These tools are designed to be used for self paced training, one on one facilitated training, or as part of local district board meetings. (If seeking Supervisor Training Credit, these should be viewed in a group setting - please contact your Regional Coordinator for details.) Each can be viewed in its entirety or broken down into shorter segments for viewing over time.
District Staff Training Library - A collection of training modules (videos and narrated presentations) focused on building skills for district staff. Topics include Orientation Information, Administrative Information, and Technical Information.
Office Software and Applications - Includes training and guidance focused on Microsoft office applications and google documents/forms.
Meeting Facilitation and Support - Includes various tranings on how to facilitate a meeting, handle difficult situations when facilitating a meeting as well as taking meeting minutes.
Management and Leadership - Includes various trainings related to management styles, managing professionals, developing leadership skills, grant writing and financial administration.
Technical Services Section - Planning and Design Tools - Official Link
Technical Planning and Design - Various traning on a wide range of disciplines.