Skip Navigation



Frequently Asked Questions

  • Can the NCDA&CS Veterinary Division treat or diagnose my pet?
    No. Please consult you local veterinary practitioner for questions about the diagnosis and treatment of a personal pet or animal.

  • Who do I call about an animal being mistreated?
    Call the local sheriff's offices, magistrate or local animal control for cases of animal cruelty, stolen animals, animals running at large, in-home pet sitting services, private breeding kennels, dead animals found off a farm not buried, or humane care of animals other than dogs and cats being sold commercially. Animal cruelty cases are handled at the local level. The first source of contact should be your county sheriff's office and/or your county animal cruelty investigator. Any person may, however, bring an action directly to the district court judge in any county where cruelty to an animal has been alleged.

  • I found a dead bird in my yard. How do I find out if it has West Nile Virus?
    When the virus first appeared in the U.S. many states, North Carolina included, was able to get valuable informaiton from the collection and subsequent testing of dead wild birds. However, now that the virus has become established within the wild bird population, testing dead birds is no longer necessary. Therefore, North Carolina is no longer taking reports of dead wild birds or submitting any birds for testing. To check the policy in your area, please contact your local health department for information specific to your area.

  • Who can I complain to about a boarding kennel, shelter or pet shop?
    The NCDA&CS Animal Welfare Section oversees licenses boarding kennel, pet shop, animal shelter or those sold at auction. Contact the division at (919) 707-3280.
    Call NCDA&CS Structural Pest Control & Pesticides Division at (919) 733-7366 regarding a grooming facility that does not board dogs or cats.

  • What do I need to do to bring a small animal into the state?
    Call the office of Dr. Carl Williams at (919) 733-3419 for questions about rabies, interstate movement of dogs or cats or small animal health certificates.

  • I need to travel out-of-state with my horse or livestock. What do I need to do?
    Visit the USDA website at for answers to questions on the requirements for health certificates for any of the 50 states. It is strongly recommended that you confirm those requirements by calling the individual state of destination. The phone numbers for each state may be obtained by selecting the state of destination web link provided on the above mentioned USDA website.

Large animal health certificate forms for interstate travel within the continental United States may be ordered by accredited veterinarians by calling the NCDA&CS Animal Health Programs at (919) 707-3250. Coggins (EIA) forms may be ordered by calling the USDA at (919) 855-7713 or (919) 855-7700.

  • I'm traveling out-of-state with my birds. What do I need to do?
    Call NCDA - Animal Health Programs at (919) 707-3250 for questions or problems regarding interstate movement of birds and poultry.
  • I've got a question about wildlife. Who should I call?
    Call NC Wildlife Commission at (919) 707-0060 for questions or problems with Fish & Game, bats, beavers, bears, birds, squirrels, snakes (native species only), fox, raccoons, skunks, deer, lizards and any other native species.
  • I want to sell animals. What type of permits do I need?
    Call Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, Animal Care Office at (919) 855-7100 for licensure requirements to sell dogs or cats wholesale into the pet trade, to sell or exhibit exotic or wild mannals for compensation, or to transport animals in commerce. 
  • I want to sell livestock to a foreign buyer. What do I do?
    Call USDA, APHIS, Veterinary Services at (919) 855-7700 for questions regarding international export of livestock.
  • I bought a dog/cat from outside the country. Who do I need to contact?
    Call the Center for Disease Control (CDC) at (404) 639-3311 regarding the import of small animals from outside of the US.

NCDA&CS Veterinary Division, Dr. Michael Martin - State Veterinarian
Mailing Address: 1030 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1030
Physical Address: 2 West Edenton Street, Raleigh, NC 27601
Phone: (919) 707-3250 Fax: (919) 733-2277

How can we make this page better for you?
Contact the NCDA&CS

Found a bug? Have a suggestion? Fill out the form below and we'll take a look!

Your Name:
Your E-mail:
Question or Comments:

Back to top

Get Email Alerts

Stay up to date with NCDA&CS. Sign up to receive the latest news and upcoming events via email.