Support the Spay Neuter Program and show You Care!

Click on Specialized Plates and search for "Animal Lovers." $20 from each plate will go to the Spay Neuter Program.

Veterinary Division

Animal Welfare Section


New Facility and Renewal Applications:

For Print Only:

To type directly into forms and print use links below:**


*These forms require you to have the latest version of Adobe Reader installed on your computer. Download Adobe Reader


**For best results use Internet Explorer. If you are using Chrome or Mozilla as your browser you must right click on the application link and select "Save link as" to Save application to your computer. Then you can open the form from your computer.

If you offer boarding of dogs and/or cats out of your home for a fee you must obtain a boarding kennel license from the Animal Welfare Section. This includes providing boarding services advertised through online pet-service companies and other online lists. Operating a boarding facility without a license could result in up to a $5,000 civil penalty for each violation.

Quick Links


Laws and Rules



Spay Neuter Program

Fix your critter

dog and catThe 1977 North Carolina General Assembly enacted an "Animal Welfare Act" to ensure that animals, as items of commerce, are provided humane care and treatment by regulating the transportation, sale, purchase, housing, care, handling and treatment of animals by persons or organizations engaged in transporting, buying or selling them. This Act is intended to protect animals confined in pet shops, kennels, public and private animal shelters, and auction markets. For the purposes of this Act, "animal," as defined by General Statute 19A-23, includes only domestic dogs and cats. This should not be confused with county-operated animal shelters that are regulated by county governments and their officials. State issued certificates or licenses are required for animal shelters, pet shops, boarding kennels and dealers. Criminal penalties are provided for the operation of a pet shop, kennel, animal shelter, etc., without a license.

Pet Shops who sell "pocket pets" (hedgehogs, degus, spiny mice, prairie dogs, flying squirrels, jerboas, or short-tailed oppossums) need to be licensed with the USDA, APHIS. Not included on the list of "pocket pets" are rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, rats, mice, gophers, chinchilla, domestic ferrets. Click here for USDA, APHIS contact information.

Call the local sheriff's offices or local animal control for cases of animal cruelty, stolen animals, animals running at large, in-home pet sitting services, private breeding kennels, dead animals found off a farm not buried, or humane care of animals other than dogs and cats being sold commercially. Animal cruelty cases are handled at the local level. The first source of contact should be your county sheriff's office and/or your county animal cruelty investigator. However, any person who has first-hand knowledge of animal cruelty may appear before a magistrate in that county and request the issuance of a criminal summons or warrent for arrest.





NCDA&CS Veterinary Division, Dr. R. Douglas Meckes - State Veterinarian
Mailing Address:1030 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1030
Physical Address: 2 W. Edenton Street, Raleigh, NC 27601
Phone:919-707-3250; FAX: (919) 733-2277