Plant Industry - Plant Protection Section
Biological Control Services - Quarantine Facility
Our facility is USDA inspected and approved for the containment of
nonindigenous phytophagous arthropods and their parasitoids and predators.
Here, we enforce good laboratory practices in order to prevent the release of an
exotic plant pest into our environment.
- The facility features a preparation laboratory fitted with drawers, countertops, and
- In addition to the laboratory, we offer six quarantine or “clean” rooms
equipped with black light traps (two with tabletop incubators).
- Available for long or short-term projects, this facility allows researchers to conduct
studies without the expense of building and maintaining a quarantine laboratory.
- The facility is ideal for work with exotic species.
- We maintain a clean operational standard to eliminate undesired pests and
pathogens and feature an autoclave to sterilize solid wastes. A copy of the
quarantine manual is available here.
- Use fees are very reasonable. Please contact Rebecca Norris, Quarantine
Officer for more information.
The NCDA&CS quarantine facility is located inside the Beneficial Insect
Laboratory at 950 E. Chatham St. in Cary, NC. This containment facility is
conveniently located between North Carolina State University and Research
Triangle Park and is easily accessible via Interstate 40.