FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
WEDNESDAY, JULY 23, 2014
||Annette Dunlap, food business specialist
NCDA&CS Marketing Division
Aug. 27 workshop offers advice for food businesses
RALEIGH – The North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is sponsoring a free workshop, “The Business of Being in Business,” from 8:30 to noon on Aug. 27 at the McKimmon Center. The workshop will address trademarks, sales tax and business structure.
“Learning the ins and outs of running a business can be a daunting task,” said Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler. “If you plan on being successful in selling your product, then learning the difference between a corporation and a sole proprietorship, how to collect and pay sales tax, and registering a trademark are essential.”
Workshop topics will include:
- What is a trademark and how having one can help you;
- How to apply for a trademark;
- How to search the trademark database;
- How to register for a sales and use tax number;
- How to collect and pay your sales taxes;
- Understanding the difference between a corporation and a sole proprietorship.
Registration is open to existing food businesses and limited to 30 people. Registration deadline is Aug. 22. For more information or to register, contact Annette Dunlap at 919-707-3117 or email@example.com.