FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MONDAY, FEB. 3, 2014
Heather Barnes, marketing specialist
NCDA&CS Marketing Division
N.C. SweetPotato Commission, NCDA&CS unveil new promotion
at area Lowes Foods stores
Cooking demonstrations, photo contest planned in February
RALEIGH — In honor of Sweet Potato Month, the N.C. SweetPotato Commission and N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services are unveiling a new promotion at area Lowes Foods stores in February. The promotion, 52 Ways to Love Sweet Potatoes, will highlight the versatility and nutritional benefits of sweet potatoes.
“North Carolina is the largest producer of sweet potatoes in the nation,” said Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler. “We want to give shoppers a reason to fall in love with sweet potatoes, try new recipes and learn more about the health benefits of this wonderful, locally grown product.”
Sue Johnson-Langdon, executive director of the N.C. SweetPotato Commission, said shoppers should be on the lookout for special displays in the produce section of their stores. “They can share their love of sweet potatoes by participating in a photo contest through the commission’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/NCSPC,” she said. “By sharing their sweet-potato photos with the hashtag #loveNCSP, shoppers will be entered to win a $100 Lowes Foods gift card.”
In addition, select stores will feature cooking demonstrations during the month to introduce consumers to new ways of preparing sweet potatoes. Cooking demonstrations will take place at the following Lowes Foods stores:
- Feb. 7 — 11711 U.S. 70 Business West in Clayton from 4 to 7 p.m.
- Feb. 9 — 1845 Aversboro Road in Garner from 3 to 6 p.m.
- Feb. 15 — 1152 E. Cutlar Crossing in Leland from 3 to 6 p.m. and 341 S. College Road in Wilmington from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Feb. 21 — 2205 Oak Ridge Road in Oak Ridge from 3 to 6 p.m.
- Feb. 22 — 1581 New Garden Road in Greensboro from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5820-F N. Church St. in Greensboro from 3 to 6 p.m.
- Feb. 23 — 5400 Apex Peakway in Apex from 2 to 5 p.m.
- Feb. 28 — 8100 Brier Creek Parkway in Raleigh from 2 to 5 p.m. and 4961 Long Beach Road S.E. in Southport from 1 to 4 p.m.
Additional recipes are available online at www.ncsweetpotatoes.com/52-ways-to-love-sweet-potatoes/.
The retail promotion was made possible through funding from the N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. The department’s Marketing Division creates opportunities for farmers and food businesses to sell their products and be successful. For more information, log on to www.gottobenc.com.