FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
TUESDAY, DEC. 18, 2012
||Nick Lassiter, marketing specialist
NCDA&CS Marketing Division
NCDA&CS offers free price-risk management workshops for farmers
RALEIGH – The N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services will host nine free price-risk management workshops across the state to help farmers better understand the futures market and other trading options to sell their commodities.
The series, “Managing Price Volatility/Identifying Macro Indicators,” features workshops conducted by NCDA&CS staff between Jan. 15 and March 12. Topics to be covered include an introduction to grain hedging, basis trading, cost of carry, cotton futures, energy derivatives, options trading on futures, equities and indices, using options to manage financial risks, and trading strategies to manage exposure to fluctuations in energy costs.
“The information covered in these free workshops can help farmers improve their bottom line, which is especially critical in a challenging economic climate,” said Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler.
Workshops will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. except where noted. Lunch will be on your own. Registration is not required. Following are the schedule and locations:
- Tuesday, Jan. 15 – Robeson County Agriculture Building (O.P. Owens Building), Lumberton, 910-671-3276;
- Tuesday, Jan. 22 – Wayne County Cooperative Extension, 208 W. Chestnut St., Goldsboro, 919-731-1521;
- Tuesday, Feb. 5 – McSwain Extension Education & Agriculture Center, 2420 Tramway Road, Sanford, 919-775-5624;
- Friday, Feb. 8 – Northampton Cooperative Extension Center, 9495 N.C. 305, Jackson, 252-534-2831. Times are 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. prior to a peanut production meeting;
- Tuesday, Feb. 12 – Halifax County Cooperative Extension Center Auditorium, 359 Ferrell Lane, Halifax, 252-583-5161. Times are 9 to 11:30 a.m. prior to a cotton production meeting;
- Tuesday, Feb. 19 – Pasquotank Cooperative Extension Center Auditorium, 1209 McPherson St., Elizabeth City, 252-338-3954;
- Tuesday, Feb. 26 – Pitt County Cooperative Extension Center Auditorium, 403 Government Circle, Greenville, 252-902-1704;
- Tuesday, March 5 – Stanly Community College, Crutchfield Campus, Room 135, 102 Stanly Parkway, Locust, 704-991-0251;
- Tuesday, March 12 – Carolina Farm Credit’s Administrative Office, 146 Victory Lane, Statesville, 800-521-9952.
For more, contact Nick Lassiter, NCDA&CS marketing specialist, at 919-707-3129.