FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
THURSDAY, DEC. 22, 2011
Nick Lassiter, marketing specialist
NCDA&CS Marketing Division
NCDA&CS offers risk management workshops across the state
RALEIGH -- The N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services’ Marketing Division will host a series of risk management workshops for farmers on Managing Price Volatility and Identifying Macro Indicators. Workshops are free, and the following topics will be covered: Introduction to Grain Hedging, Basis Trading, Cost of Carry, Cotton Futures, Option Trading on Futures and Equities, and Macro Forces Impacting the Hedger.
There will be an emphasis on the principles of options, spreading strategies and using options to manage financial risk. Energy derivatives will be explained, as well as trading strategies to manage your exposure to energy.
Following are dates, times and locations of workshops:
- Jan. 18, 10 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. -- Robeson County Agriculture Building, Lumberton, 910-671-3276;
- Jan. 19, 3-6 p.m. -- Wayne County Cooperative Extension, Goldsboro, 919-731-1521;
- Feb. 8, 9:30 -11:30 a.m. -- Northampton Cooperative Extension Center, Jackson, 252-534-2831;
- Feb. 10, 9:30-11:30 a.m. -- Halifax County Cooperative Extension Center, Halifax, 252-583-5161;
- Feb. 14, 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. -- Pasquotank Cooperative Extension Center, Elizabeth City, 252-338-3954;
- Feb. 28, 6-9 p.m. -- Pitt County Cooperative Extension Center, Greenville, 252-902-1704;
- March 6, 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. -- Carolina Farm Credit, Statesville, 800-521-9952;
- March 8, 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. -- Stanly Community College, Crutchfield Campus, Locust, 704-991-0251.