EDITOR’S NOTE: High resolution photos can be downloaded at www.bestdishnc.com/menu.html
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
THURSDAY, AUG. 12, 2010
||Tim Parrish, marketing specialist
NCDA&CS Marketing Division
Best Dish in NC winners crowned
Ashten’s and Bistro 42 take top spots
RALEIGH – An anonymous panel of judges spent the summer traveling to 20 restaurants to find the best fine dining and casual dining dishes that use North Carolina products. Ashten’s in Southern Pines was named the best in the fine dining category, and Bistro 42 in Asheboro was named the best in casual dining.
Second place in the fine dining category went to The Table at Crestwood in Boone, and third place went to Deluxe in Wilmington. In the casual dining category, Kornerstone Bistro in Wilmington took second place, and Yancey House in Yanceyville took third.
This is the second time that Deluxe, The Table at Crestwood and Yancey House have placed in the Best Dish competition.
The winning dishes were:
- First place: Ashten’s – Asparagus strudel, N.C. mountain trout salad, Council Farms egg drop soup, braised rainbow farm lamb shoulder, pecan polenta cake with strawberries
- Second place: Table at Crestwood – Field greens with almond encrusted goat cheese, tomato bisque with crab and basil salad, Hickory Nut Gap Farms rib-eye with summer squash fries, cheese cake with wild berry compote
- Third place: Deluxe – Phil’s soft shell crab
- First place: Bistro 42 – Tapas style tasting menu that included pork and shrimp spring rolls, savory lump crabmeat cheese cake with pecan short crust, ox tail (beef) agnolotti with beurre fondue, and lavender-lemon curd with fresh N.C. berries, cantaloupe, honey dew, watermelon and Chantilly cream with fresh mint
- Second place: Kornerstone Bistro – Roast peach, chevre and microgreens salad, chilled cantaloupe, N.C. crab and country ham soup, Dogwood Farms duck and pork confit roulade, fig chutney and summer vegetables, peanut panna cotta with peanut brittle crust and local honey
- Third place: Yancey House Restaurant – Smoked trout brushetta, rustic Tuscan tomato and bread salad, red onions, goat feta cheese, toasted herb Italian bread with balsamic dressing, black/red drum topped with shrimp and crab, lemon meuniere sauce and microgreens served with summer squash gratin, peach hand pies, blackberry ice cream with blackberry wine sauce
The Best Dish in NC competition is an annual statewide contest that recognizes and rewards the efforts of restaurants and chefs who use North Carolina products regularly in their menus. It also raises awareness about local foods, restaurants and chefs.
The 20 finalists were chosen based on their proposed menus and marketing plans for promoting the menu. Chefs were allowed to enter a combination of dishes (for example, an appetizer with an entrée and dessert), but each was judged as a single entry.
Competition finalists were required to feature the dishes in their restaurant for at least a four-week period in May, June or July for judging. Judges rated each restaurant on its use of North Carolina products, creativity, presentation, taste and promotion. For more information, visit www.bestdishnc.com.