FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FRIDAY, JULY 17, 2009
James Burnette Jr., director
NCDA&CS Structural Pest Control & Pesticides Division
N.C. Pesticide Board announces case settlements
RALEIGH — The N.C. Pesticide Board recently approved the following settlement agreements for respondents working in Avery, Cleveland, Hertford, Lenoir and Mecklenburg counties:
- Jon L. Oatman, an employee of Superior Forestry Service Inc. in Tilly, Ark., agreed to pay $600 for using pesticides inconsistently with their labels at a Mountain Electric Cooperative right-of-way near property in Montezuma. The pesticides were applied near a neighboring water source, and their labels state they shouldn’t be applied directly to water or to areas where surface water is present. Mountain Electric Cooperative contracts with Superior Forestry Service Inc. to maintain its rights-of-way.
- William C. Thompson III, owner of Environmental Land Management in Kings Mountain, agreed to pay $300 after an unlicensed employee applied the chemical Lesco Prosecutor. Applying this pesticide commercially without up-to-date certification and license is a violation of state law.
- William Ward, III of Ahoskie agreed to pay $300 for purchasing and applying a restricted-use pesticide with an expired certification. Purchasing this pesticide without up-to-date certification is not consistent with its label, which states it should be purchased and used only by certified applicators or under their direct supervision.
- Floors and Courts Inc. of Kinston agreed to pay $600 its misbranded adulterated Pronto II Ready to Use Disinfectant Cleaner, in that it falsely claimed to be effective against T. mentagrophytes and was found to be contaminated with Gram-positive bacilli. It is unlawful for an adulterated or misbranded pesticide to be distributed, sold or offered for sale.
- Wepak Corp. of Charlotte agreed to pay $1,000 for its adulterated Wepak Disinfectant Neutral Cleaner, which was found to be contaminated with Gram-positive bacilli. It is unlawful for an adulterated or misbranded pesticide to be distributed, sold or offered for sale.