Public Affairs Home
News Releases
Agricultural Review
In The Field Blog
Photos and logos
Century Farm Family
Agricultural Hall of Fame
Sign-up for News Releases
Contact Us


Friend us on Facebook In the Field Blog powered by WordPress
Twitter NCDA&CS videos on YouTube



Dr. Stephen Schmidt, plant pest administrator
NCDA&CS Plant Industry Division

(919) 733-6930, ext. 231

NCDA&CS advises farmers to take steps to reduce potential spread
of plant pests when moving hay or forage

RALEIGH – With the entire state experiencing severe to exceptional drought, farmers are moving hay and alternative forages to feed their livestock. The N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services cautions farmers to take steps to reduce the risk of moving unwanted plant pests with hay or alternative feeds.

Areas of North Carolina are under quarantine for fire ants and weeds such as witchweed, and permits or certificates are required for moving hay and forage from these areas.

Hay and forage from outside North Carolina also must be accompanied by a certificate or permit issued by an authorized agriculture department representative in the state of origin. The document must certify that the material is free of plant pests such as fire ant, other insects and noxious weeds.

Farmers should contact the NCDA&CS Plant Industry Division at (919) 733-6932 or toll-free, 1-800-206-9333, before moving hay and forage. A plant pest specialist may need to visit the farm to inspect the forage.

For county-by-county information about pests and quarantines, logon to

-bal 2,4-



NCDA&CS Public Affairs Division, Brian Long, Director
Mailing Address:1001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh NC 27699-1001
Physical Address: 2 West Edenton Street, Raleigh NC 27601
Phone: (919) 733-4216; FAX: (919) 733-5047

Jobs     |      Mission Statement     |     Accessibility Statement     |     Disclaimer     |     Privacy Statement
Steve Troxler, Commissioner of Agriculture

Home Programs Services Divisions Newsroom Search