North Carolina Agricultural
Hall of Fame Inductees
JAMES D. KILGORE
1902 - 1989
"Mr. Jim" Kilgore was an excellent businessman, providing leadership for Pine State Creamery during a period of growth that resulted in the company reaching $50 million in annual gross sales, employing 400 people and ranking 52nd among North Carolina's largest private companies. Yet Mr. Kilgore's interests extend beyond his own business, and were expressed in various civic, professional and philanthropic endeavors.
"Mr. Jim" was born into a family with a tradition of greatness. His grandfather was president of Peace College. His father, the late W.B. Kilgore, was the first director of the North Carolina Agricultural Extension Service, the first dean of Agriculture at North Carolina State University, a director of the N.C. Agricultural Experiment Station and state chemist.
"Mr. Jim" joined Pine State Creamery, the company his father founded, in 1932, became president in 1944, and became chairman of the board in 1970.
Mr. Kilgore also served terms during his career as president of the Raleigh Chamber of Commerce, member of the Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority, president of the Rex Hospital Foundation, trustee of both Peace College and Consolidated Presbyterian College, director of The Progressive Farmer Company, and member of the Board of Managers of Wachovia Bank and Trust Company of Raleigh.
He was active in the organizations related to the dairy industry, having served as president of the North Carolina Dairy Foundation, Inc., president of the North Carolina Dairy products Association, secretary of the International Association of Ice Cream Manufacturers, member of the board of the National Dairy Council and director of the N.C. Guernsey Breeders Association.
"Mr. Jim" was a great supporter of North Carolina State University. He was instrumental in founding the N.C. Dairy Foundation, played a major role in obtaining funding for Shaub Hall, helped establish the W.L. Clevenger Food Science Library Endowment. Mr. Kilgore and his relatives established the B.W. Scholarship endowment in 1984 at N.C. State Food Science with two to five scholarships being awarded each year. He received the Watuaga Medal from N.C. State University for unuasually distinguished service to the University.
the North Carolina
AGRICULTURAL HALL OF FAME