NCDA&CS Accomplishments, Recognitions and Honors
- The N.C. Forest Services was named the 2011 Natural Resources Agency of the Year by the North Carolina Wildlife Federation.
- In 2011, the department opened its first trade office in Beijing, China. The country is rapidly becoming North Carolina’s top destination for agricultural exports.
- The N.C. State Fair topped one million visitors in 2010 and 2011.
- Over the past seven years, the Mountain State Fair and the N.C. State Fair have received numerous awards for agricultural programs from the International Association of Fairs and Expositions.
- The N.C. Farm to School Program had a record $1.4 million in sales in the 2012-2013 school year. The program is a partnership of the NCDA&CS Food Distribution and Marketing divisions.
- The department's Veterinary Diagnostic Lab System received full accreditation by the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians in 2008. It’s a stamp of approval that the results coming out of the lab are accurate. Prior to 2008, the lab had only provisional accreditation.
- The Food and Drug Protection Lab achieved ISO 17025 accreditation in 2010. The lab is one of only five in the country to achieve ISO 17025 accreditation in both chemical and biological testing. In addition, the lab received a 2011 Governor’s Award for Excellence for Outstanding State Government Service.
- The department received the 2011 Elliot O. Grosvenor Food Safety Award from the Association of Food and Drug Officials. The department is the first state agency to receive this award, which recognizes outstanding achievement by food safety programs.
- The Food and Drug Protection Division’s Rapid Response Manual has been hailed as a national model by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- The department's Agricultural Development and Farmland Preservation Trust Fund has helped protect nearly 12,000 acres of farmland and forests through conservation easements.
- The ADFP Trust Fund also has helped counties with other tools to protect farmland. Today, 86 counties have established Voluntary Agricultural Districts, and 48 counties have approved farmland protection plans.
- The Got to Be NC Agriculture program received a 2006 Marketing Excellence Award from Produce Magazine.
Individual Honors, Awards and Service
- Marketing specialist Heather Barnes won the 2012 national Young Farmers & Ranchers Discussion Meet.
- State Veterinarian David Marshall is past president of the U.S. Animal Health Association.
- Stephen Benjamin, director of the Standards Division, is past chairman of the National Conference on Weights and Measures.
- Numerous department staff members have been honored with State Employee/Governor’s Awards for Excellence: Cathy Ma (Marketing), 2012; Food and Drug Protection Lab, 2011; Gail Weams (Food Distribution, now retired), 2008; Operation MoveOut Team (staff from Veterinary, Emergency Programs and Public Affairs divisions), 2008; Jennifer Nixon (Public Affairs), 2007; Bill Yarborough (Agronomic Services), 2006.
August 9, 2013
NCDA&CS Public Affairs Division, Brian Long, Director
Mailing Address:1001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh NC 27699-1001
Physical Address: 2 West Edenton Street, Raleigh NC 27601
Phone: (919) 707-3005; FAX: (919) 733-5047