Skip Navigation

NCAGR.GOV

Agricultural Review

Junior Livestock Sale of Champions nets $176,250

Bidders paid a record $176,250 for the top steers, barrows, lambs and goats in the Junior Livestock Sale of Champions at the N.C. State Fair on Oct. 17.

“The Junior Livestock Sale of Champions highlights the champion animals that have been exhibited at the fair,” said Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler. “But more importantly, the sale recognizes outstanding young people for their accomplishments.”

The grand and reserve champion junior market steers were shown by Madison Boyd, 14, of Pine Town. Harris Teeter placed the winning bid of $35,000 for the grand champion. N.C. Farm Bureau Insurance bought the reserve champion for $16,000.

The N.C. Born and Bred champion steer was shown by Mason Blinson, 17, of Buies Creek. It was bought for $20,000 by the Carlton and Lyndell A. Martin Family Foundation with additional support from N.C. Farm Bureau Insurance, Jones and Cox Cattle Co., Carolina Stockyards, Performance Livestock and Feed Co., E.B. Harris Inc. and Thompson Cattle Co.

The grand champion junior market barrow was shown by Hunter McMillen, 8, of Grandy. The N.C. Pork Council placed the winning bid of $19,000.

The grand champion junior market lamb was shown by Hailee Whitehurst, 12, of Hobgood. Powers Great American Midways bought the animal for $12,000.

The reserve champion junior market lamb was shown by 5-year-old MacKenzie Cox of Richlands. McBride’s Concessions and Powers Great American Midways bought the lamb for $9,000. In the junior market barrow show, Cox’s hog was the reserve champion and N.C. Born and Bred champion. It was purchased by Hog Slat Inc., Smithfield Farmland and Duplin Marketing for $19,000.

The N.C. Born and Bred champion lamb was shown by Madison Reber, 10, of Mount Ulla. Tractor Supply Co. bought the animal for $13,000.

Caley Mayo, 14, of Whitakers, showed the junior market meat goat, which was purchased by N.C. Farm Credit Associations of the Carolinas for $13,250.

The reserve champion junior market meat goat was shown by Joel Dahms, 17, of Bahama. N.C. Farm Bureau Insurance placed the winning bid of $8,000 for the goat.

The N.C. Born and Bred champion meat goat was shown by Elizabeth Sullivan, 5, of Lucama. N.C. Farm Bureau Insurance and Iron Horse Auction Co. paid $12,000 for the goat.

The youth receive 60 percent of the purchase amount, with the remaining 40 percent supporting N.C. youth scholarships and livestock programs.

E.B. Harris of Warrenton ran the auction, which was streamed on the Web by Iron Horse Auction of Rockingham.

 

NCDA&CS Public Affairs Division, Brian Long, Director
Mailing Address:1001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh NC 27699-1001
Physical Address: 2 West Edenton Street, Raleigh NC 27601
Phone: (919) 707-3001; FAX: (919) 733-5047


How can we make this page better for you?
Contact the NCDA&CS

Found a bug? Have a suggestion? Fill out the form below and we'll take a look!

Your Name:
Your E-mail:
Subject:
Question or Comments:

Back to top

Get Email Alerts

Stay up to date with NCDA&CS. Sign up to receive the latest news and upcoming events via email.