Establishing an AVA

North Carolina is home to three American Viticultural Areas (AVAs): Yadkin Valley, Swan Creek, and Haw River Valley. Establishing AVAs can be a lengthy process and is regulated by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB).

To start the process, you must petition the TTB about establishing an AVA with a letter that includes: 

    • Evidence that the area is known by the proposed name
    • Historical or current evidence that the proposed boundaries of the viticultural area are correct
    • Evidence that the geographical features of the area produce growing conditions which distinguish the proposed area from surrounding areas
    • A narrative description of the boundaries based on features which can be found on United States Geological Survey (U.S.G.S.) maps of the largest applicable scale
    • A copy of the appropriate U.S.G.S. map(s) with the boundaries marked in any prominent color. These maps are sold by commercial dealers and by the U.S.G.S. (1-800-HELP-MAP).

For more rules and information about establishing an AVA, visit the TTB.

end of section