Markets Division Home
International Marketing Home Page
Help Line
and Contact Information
NC Agribusiness Export Resources
International Buyer Databases & Resources

Sign-Up for NCDA&CS International Markets Email Newsletters

E-mail Address :


International Trade Office

Marketing Division

got to be NC AG EXPORTS


Certifying Ginseng Exports

Overview of APHIS Inspection
of American Ginseng Presentation
click here

Any ginseng leaving the state of North Carolina must have a Ginseng Export Certificate and a State Phytosanitary Certificate, issued by the local NCDA&CS Plant Protection Specialist. There are no fees for these certificates. A CITES permit, issued by US Fish and Wildlife, is also needed for export.

The information needed for the Ginseng Export Certificate is as follows:

  • Total weight of ginseng
  • Growing Conditions (wild, cultivated, etc.)
  • Condition at the time of inspection (green or dry)
  • Harvest date(s)
  • Licensed dealer's signature
  • Certified Records of Acquistion

The information needed for the State Phytosanitary Certificate is as follows:

  • Names and addresses of shipper and consignee
  • Country of origin
  • Amount of produce
  • Number of boxes
  • Means of conveyance

Outline of procedure:

  • NCDA issues the State Phytosanitary Certificate
  • Seller sends all paperwork to USDA station to get Federal Phytosanitary Certificate
  • USDA sends Federal Phytosanitary Certificate and all other paperwork back to the seller
  • Seller sends shipment overseas