Marketing Division Home
Aquaculture Home
About Aquaculture and the NCDA & CS
Agribusiness Development
Aquaculture Contacts
NC Aquaculture Association
NC Aquaculture Conference
Obtaining an Aquaculture License
Sources of NC Aquaculture Products
Aquaculture Statistics
Farm Pond Management
NCDA & CS Aquaculture Publications
Transport of live animals--contact information by state
Links to other sites

Marketing - Aquaculture


NCDA&CS Aquaculture License Information

The North Carolina Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services issues the aquaculture license.The license is for any person who owns or operates an aquaculture facility for the purpose of possession, production, transportation, sale or commercial catchout.

The license is free and can usually be obtained within two weeks. If you have any questions regarding the license or need assistance in the process, please contact Pete Anderson at (252) 633-1477, or email:

Explanation of the Aquaculture License

License application (.pdf fill in form)

License application (Word doc.)

Example of Completed Form (.pdf)

* Information on Non-Approved Species: In accordance with the Aquaculture Development Act of 1997 the culture of any aquatic species not approved in the statute (or not listed as one of the 22 species in the NCDA License Application) is “prohibited from propagation and production unless the applicant for the permit first obtains written permission from the NC Wildlife Resources Commission.”  The link below will provide information for you to apply for authorization to culture aquatic species not approved in the legislation:
NCWRC Authorization to Culture Non-Approved Fish Species Application

* Information on Transporting: In accordance with the provisions of Chapter 113-274 of the General Statutes of North Carolina and regulations of the NC Wildlife Resources Commission makes it unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to transport live fish eggs, live freshwater nongame fish, or live game fish in excess of the legal limit, without first having obtained a permit from the Executive Director of the NC Wildlife Resources Commission. You may find the application for the Fish Transportation Permit below:
NCWRC Application for Fish Transportation Permit (Word doc.)

* If you are planning to install a well in the Central Coastal Plain Capacity Use Area, please contact the NC Division of Water Resources



NCDA&CS Marketing Division, Agribusiness Development - Ron Fish
1020 Mail Service Center Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-1020
Phone: (919) 707-3119 – FAX: (919) 733-0999