NSW Strategies - Jordan Lake - Oversight Committee
The purpose of the Watershed Oversight Committee is to guide the implementation of the Agriculture Rule. This committee is charged with developing tracking and accounting methods for nitrogen and phosphorus loss from agricultural land in the Upper New Hope, Lower New Hope and Haw River Watersheds. The Agriculture Rule was adopted in August 2009, members of the committee were appointed by the Division of Water Quality in Fall 2009, and the committee began meeting in February 2010.
The composition of the committee is specified in the rule, and includes the following representatives:
- Division of Soil and Water Conservation
- United States Department of Agriculture-Natural Resources Conservation Service (shall serve in an "ex-officio" non-voting capacity and shall function as a technical program advisor to the Committee)
- North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
- North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service
- Division of Water Quality
- Three environmental interests, at least two of which are residents of the Jordan watershed
- General farming interests
- Pasture-based livestock interests
- Equine livestock interests
- Cropland farming interests
- The scientific community with experience related to water quality problems in the Jordan watershed.
A complete list of members with contact information is available here.